The condition that causes dark spots to develop on the skin is called pigmentation. There are various kinds of pigmentations. For instance, we have superficial pigmentation. This kind of pigmentation is caused by mild sun damage and sun tan. Another kind is frictional pigmentation.
Frictional pigmentation can be attributed to constant rubbing. Lastly, we have deep pigmentation. When it comes to pigmentation removal, this one is the most difficult one to treat. Classic examples of deep pigmentations include deep sun tan, chloasma, and melasma.
Unfortunately, without pigmentation removal, these brown spots can last for several years, even a lifetime. Your skin’s natural color is caused by melanin. Melanin is present in the body.
Melanin disorders can result in pigmentation and the occurrence of dark patches. If you notice that you are developing these brown patches or dark spots, it is reassuring to know that there are pigmentation removal options that are available at your disposal.
Reducing Pigmentation: Who are the Ideal Candidates?
To be considered a good candidate for pigmentation removal treatment, there are specific conditions that you need to meet. Some pigmentation removal treatment options require that you are healthy so you can recover quickly after the treatment. You are considered a great candidate if:
- You are able to commit to using sunscreen
- You are not a heavy smoker
- You can avoid severe sun exposure
- You can commit to a good skin care routine
- You don’t have any skin conditions such as active viral skin infection
Different Types of Non-Invasive Treatment Options and How They Work
There are various skin lightening methods that are used to treat pigmentations. Some of them include:
- Chemical Peels. This skin resurfacing method is used to treat pigmentations of the skin. The solution works by exfoliating the dead skin cells so the healthier and younger skin layer can appear. Understandably, the process also helps reduce dark spots.
- Medi Facials. Medi facials have been proven to help enhance the quality and health of the skin by penetrating the target areas. Different medi facial treatments are used depending on how dark your pigmentation spots are.
- This pigmentation treatment option makes use of an injectable agent. The agent will treat the dark spots of your skin. Some of the most used agents include enzymes, hormones, vitamins, and plant extracts.
- This minimally invasive treatment option has also been used to treat skin pigmentation. The procedure is done using very fine needles to create punctures on the targeted areas.
- Laser peel. Laser peel is another safe and effective way to treat skin pigmentation. A laser device will be used to send wavelengths into target areas of the skin. The laser wavelengths will destroy the skin cells that are damaged so the pigmentation is reduced. Fortunately, the procedure has no unwanted or harmful side effects and the results can be noticeable right away.
- This treatment option will use a medical device to remove the skin’s epidermis. Microdermabrasion will require several sessions. However, it is an effective method to remove the areas that are pigmented. Done by seasoned dermatologists, you can expect great results.
- LED light treatment. This treatment has a great effect on the skin and has been proven to help prevent pigmentations that are caused by exposure to the sun. This also reduced other types of inflammation like sunburn. This treatment option is safe, non-invasive, and painless. It also has very minimal downtime.
- Photodynamic treatment. This treatment has been known to have a great effect on the skin. Photodynamic treatment is also known as Super Blue Light treatment. This procedure uses a photosensitizer to target the areas and reduce skin pigmentation.